Some History of Belvue
When Belvue was platted.
How Belvue got its name:
Another source source says that "Belvue" simply is a French word meaning "beautiful view". Although no one knows for certain where the name origintaed, Mrs. Andrew J. Baker is credited with giving the name to the town.
Belvue Post Office Established:
The Belvue Mirror, was in print from November 18, 1897 to may 12, 1998. It's editor was C.M. Dunn. People also used the paper as a means of advertising. According to this paper, December 23, 1987, "Belvue raised nearly one-half of the entire amount of wheat in Pottawatomie County--42,884 bushels."
Churches of Belvue
The Baptist Church was located where the school gymnasium stood, today is the Onyx Collection. The Presbyterian Church dwelling was remolded into a home and is located at 505 Noble. It was built in 1901.
The Methodist Church was first known as the Methodist Episcopal Church and is now called the Belvue United Methodist Church. The sanctuary was built in 1878. In 1955 an addition was added including Sunday school rooms, restrooms, and a full size basement with kitchen. It is now the only Church in Belvue. In 1968, Mrs. Loreen Weeks Klassen of Topeka died and left the church a substantial legacy. She was born and raised in Belvue and to her this was her home and church. This bequeath amounts to approximately 10,000-15,000 a year as long as it remains a Methodist Church.
First Mayor and City Council Members
Belvue School and Gymnasium:
It was during the rains of 1951 that Belvue built a guanset-type gymnasium located on the south side of the school. Its construction caused quite a disagreement with some of the farmers who felt it was much to expensive. A few of them actually put up each to take action and stop it from being built, but it was in vain.